Keep safe!

Keep safe!
You are responsible for your own safety and that of your dog. The walks listed in this blog are not detailed guides. Plan your route! Click the landrover image for safety advice from Bowland Pennine MRT.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ruffwear dog boots

Seems like an eternity since we were descending Scafell Pike and the poor dog cut his paw whilst paddling in angle tarn. I learnt a few things that day:

- don't throw things for the dog in to lakeland tarns without checking the shallows first
- human first aid kits come in handy for dogs
- you need high strength self adhesive tape to stand any chance of keeping a bandage on a dog
- dogs don't like walking on cut paws
- 4 miles is too far to carry a dog off a mountain
- I wished I'd had a set of dog boots in my rucksack for such events

I subsequently learnt that:

- cheap dog boots from places like Pets at Home are useless
- you can get quality dog boots with Vibram soles (cool)
- not only mad people buy dog boots (possibly)

....so, after some searching of the net I purchased a nice set of Vibram soled Ruffwear dog boots (and socks of course)which I can now take out with me on our longer walks and if I ever enter a riot situation (unlikely) I know that my dog's paws will be safe.

The video was taken over the course of about 5 minutes....didn't take long to get reasonably used to them....enjoy!

No comments: