Keep safe!

Keep safe!
You are responsible for your own safety and that of your dog. The walks listed in this blog are not detailed guides. Plan your route! Click the landrover image for safety advice from Bowland Pennine MRT.

Friday, January 03, 2014

A Circuit of Stocks Reservoir

In the days before we had a dog I used to visit Stocks Reservoir to fish. These days my fishing trips are rare, I'd rather be out with my four legged friend and I've never thought that dogs and fishing are a good mix. 

Yesterday was only my second visit Stocks in the last 7 years. As with our walk round Gisburn Forest (a long long time ago) we parked at the School Lane Car Park (£3.00 a day charge) to start our route. 

There are plenty of downloadable PDF guides showing the route and in the main it was well signposted. My only blip was near to New House Farm where I can only think my enthusiasm for a photo opportunity with a tree meant I failed to spot the path leading to what is apparently a new footbridge over the Hodder.  Our slightly extended route was a pleasure though, providing some easy walking before we hit what seemed to be endless muddy tracks around the reservoir itself. The mud made it tough going, even the dog appeared relieved when we hit the odd dry patch. It was thoroughly rewarding though, with great views, and one to return to in summer for me. 

Much of the route is through farmland and sheep were grazing for about 2/3 of the way. There were opportunities for off lead walking though and happily, given the state of the dog, there were no stiles to lift over. 

For a download of the route (minus our extension) visit

http://www.visitribblevalley.co.uk/download/20/stocks_reservoir_circular_walk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Little Westie and I were attacked by a vicious dog today on a local park (Kingsfold). I rang the police- not interested. They gave me a number for dog warden - the wrong council after 20 mins of waiting. Finally got Leyland council who made all the right noises but can't do anything if I didn't know the owner. What happened to all the CCTV cameras that photograph us every day?

Dave said...

Sorry to hear that. I hope you are both ok. This is an interesting article that may help http://safepetsuk.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/my-dog-was-attacked-by-another-dog-what-can-i-do/

I know a friend who was attacked with her dog at Farington Lodges a while ago. She knew (by sight at least) who it was but initially I don't think any agency was able to do anything. She did report it though and the same thing happened to others on at least more than one occasion and the police then took action. Seems to me like it is worth saying you want to formally report it and get a crime reference number so you know it has been logged.